Monday, March 11, 2024

Ovenbird Bakery is what is created when a bird biologist watches The Great British Bake Off

 TLDR

Keiller Kyle, my Patterson Park neighbor, used to bake bread as hobby. Neighbors and friends said "You should open a bakery" and he did. Go to Ovenbird Bakery and get bread, croissants, scones, cookies, bagels and quiche into your belly. There are two locations: Little Italy (limited seating) and Highlandtown (hang out with your friend, work away from home).

My Story

Social media is definitely problematic. People often show the best things that are going on in their life and it makes you feel like you are doing something wrong in your life. People also feel that they can say anything hiding behind a keyboard. But for me social media has connected me and keeps me connected with people I would have never met. What does this have to do with bread? Let me tell you.

Y'all know how much I love my hood, Patterson Park. My love for it, is detailed in one of my first blog posts. My neighborhood has a Facebook group. There are less posts about lost cats than on Next Door, but many angry posters rant about parking and off-lease dogs. But there are lots of gems. In Oct 2018, Keiller Kyle posted he started baking and was going to host a Bread Tasting Open House.  I have often joked the way to kidnap me is to let me peek in your house. If you offer me food, it is a done deal. Fortunately I wasn't kidnapped, had some great bread, and met some great neighbors (3 blocks away). 

Bread, Bread, Bread

This is what a Bread Open House looks like

Keiller moved the bread making out of his Baltimore rowhome into a brick and mortar in June of 2020. We had no idea we would be on lock down for two years from Covid at the time. But the Ovenbird Bakery in Little Italy was a small corner shop that didn't really have room to sit. It was the perfect get away to take a long walk, pick up some pastries or a sandwich for lunch while working from home and practicing social distancing. On one of these walks, I remember getting the best quiche I have ever had. The cheese, egg, crust ratio was heaven sent. 

Come on quiche!

The food service industry is tough without adding a global pandemic to the business model, but Ovenbird not only made it to the other side, but they opened another location in Highlandtown. Now this one is more than a corner store. Most of the inspiration of the new spot is Turkish from his wife's background. There is plenty of seating in this new spot and it has quickly become a neighborhood hangout. 

This ceiling is for the gram

The larger spot also opens up a broader menu. There is more bread, pastries, sandwiches, drinks including alcohol. 

Go ahead and place an order

On the weekend, people line up to grab sourdough bread for the weekend in hopes that it will last into the week. I always look at the case and think I'm going to get a spinach, goat cheese, bacon, and chive scone. No, I should get an almond or chocolate croissant. Wait, maybe the sausage and jalapeno quiche, never-mind it's always the ham and cheese croissant. I want to describe how it melts in your mouth but I will let you experience it yourself. 

Ham and Cheese Croissant

I love the comfort of a hot drink, but I was interested in the Espresso Tonics. I was unsure, but the barista asked if I liked gin and tonic and I was sold. It was an unexpected, refreshing drink that I think I will see a lot of during the summer. 

Espresso Tonic

I'm not going to describe every bite. I'm just going to share a picture of me and my neighbor who makes bread.

Patterson Park neighbors

2 comments:

  1. I’ve heard nothing but good things, and now that it’s Baltimost Kim stamped, I know I got to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so excited when they opened the new location. The parking availability makes it easy to spontaneously drop in.

    ReplyDelete