Wednesday, April 3, 2024

Spring in Baltimore: The BIG Kite Fest in Patterson Park

TLDR:

In 2019, The Creative Alliance & Friends of Patterson Park held the first BIG Kite Fest. The weather couldn’t have been more perfect to fly a kite with thousands of your neighbors. I added this to my must attend Baltimore events list. Fun fact: my grandmother taught me to fly a kite.


My Story

I remember casually leaving my house to check out the BIG Kite Fest. I have said this before, but The Friends of Patterson Park are always thinking of amazing programming in the park. When they partner with The Creative Alliance, programming is next level. I think all the amazing things I have seen in the park desensitized me for what I was about to see. As I walked towards Observatory Hill, I could see kites flying over the trees. Once I got to the Observatory, I was greeted by a kaleidoscope of colors swirling in the sky. Kites of all shapes and sizes, dotted the horizon. I don't know what I expected but seeing all the people, young and old, flying kites was simply breathtaking. It was like I was transported to a magical world like Narnia. No not Narnia, that always reminds me of The White Witch and she was scary AF. I don't even know what Turkish Delight is but I won't ever eat it. Sorry for that tangent. My heart fills with pride when fantastic things happen in my neighborhood.


A Kaleidoscope of Color


Creativity Takes Flight

You can bring a kite, buy a kite or yes, make a kite. The Creative Alliance has a station where children and adults make their own kites. Flying these kites is a completely different matter. Many kids fly a kite by running. This method is not "flying" a kite and it is the perfect way to get a kite stuck in a tree. Fortunately there are "Kite Doctors" with long polls that can try to rescue a wayward kite. My dad grew up in Baltimore and ran with a kite. My maternal grandmother taught me how to actually fly a kite. When my dad saw this, he was amazed. Now when I think about this, no one can figure out why my grandmother, born in Thomasville, GA in 1912 would know how to fly a kite. I will just be grateful for the gift.


My kite in flight. 


If you leave the hill and walk east towards Linwood Ave. you will see the professional kite flyers. Massive kites are staked in the ground or being flown by the experts. There are also less trees in this area so it is the perfect area to run with a kite.



A Community United:

One of the most beautiful aspects of the BIG Kite Festival is how it brings people together. Families gather for picnics on the grass. There is amazing food for sale. Pro tip, stand in the line because it is worth it. Various bands play music, but don't worry about it being too loud. This is an acoustic event. There are no generators or amplifiers so we can all enjoy the sounds of nature.



This is an event that I fully immerse myself in and because of that I don't have the greatest pictures. I had no idea someday I would blog about it. Please check out this professional recap video and I hope to see you in the park.


Do you know how to fly a kite? Please feel free to take guesses on why my grandmother knew how to fly a kite.




No comments:

Post a Comment