Monday, January 29, 2024

Water for Chocolate- Sexy Comfort Food


TLDR

This small neighborhood restaurant hidden in Upper Fells Point has been important to me and my family. You should come and enjoy some of the best food you will ever have. BBQ Shrimp and Grits, Jalapeno Cornbread, and Duck Confit oh my. 


My Story

House hunting is hard work. I decided it would be better to eat first. I was still trying to get my bearings in the area. I was looking to live in the Patterson Park neighborhood, but there were many distinct neighborhoods that surround the park. One of the neighborhoods in Butchers Hill to the west of the park. Many Baltimore restaurants are converted rowhomes, so they can be very small and sometimes you don’t even know it is a restaurant. I found a small one on the corner of Wolfe and Lombard called Water for Chocolate. I ordered shrimp salad and a brownie for carryout and headed to the park. 


I didn’t take any pictures because I didn’t know how good the food would be and it was 2008 and I didn’t let the camera eat first like I do now. At first I thought the shrimp salad was going to be too creamy but the seasoning and the soft croissant balanced it all out. Now the brownie is still to this day one of my favorite brownies. It is thick, chocolaty and has a hint of cinnamon. 


Water for Chocolate has become an important neighborhood spot. One of the things that I love about Baltimore is the concept of Smaltimore. If there are six degrees of separation in the world, there are at most three in Baltimore. Everyone is very interconnected. I have gotten to know the owner of Water for Chocolate, Chef Sean Guy. I have watched his children, who often work with him in the restaurant or festivals, grow up. In 2015 there was a fire that closed the restaurant. The neighborhood rallied around Water for Chocolate with fundraisers and it eventually reopened and expanded to the building next door. 


Me and Chef Sean Guy in the new bathroom. If you ever went to the old one you understand why this is picture worthy. IYKYK


Water for Chocolate also got a beer and wine license and created a sangria he calls Dope Juice. I also make sangria and I gave a great hint early on that makes Dope Juice a winner in my opinion. It is one of the few places I will order sangria. What is this hint? Don't leave your citrus rinds in the sangria because it will become bitter.


Dope Juice. The rosemary wasn't my idea, but like I said, this drink is a winner.


In addition to seeing Water for Chocolate grow, it has been a spot of milestones for my family. We would often go there for birthdays because my parents love to support a black owned business and the food is so good. I was having lunch with my family when I found out I got my job at Live Baltimore. My brother went on a first date and later proposed to his now wife at Water for Chocolate. Places like this is one of the reasons I love Baltimore.


The happy couple and it all started at Water for Chocolate

Now let me talk about the food. Sean Guy calls it sexy comfort food and when you see it and taste it, you know what he means. One of his signature dishes is BBQ Shrimp and Grits. I didn’t think it would be my jam because it is not what I’m used to with shrimp and grits, but I was wrong. The sauce is not Memphis, KC or Carolina, it is Chef Guy’s own creation and just the right amount. Alongside a big piece of jalapeno cornbread, you will have to go back to sleep after this brunch.


BBQ Shrimp and Grits


One of my go to brunch items is the Hangover Special. I’m just going to say there is goat cheese mac under that bacon!!!


Hangover Special


Some other brunch items are jerk duck confit over a cornbread waffle and don’t worry about all the meat. The Sweet Potato Polenta has all the veggies.



Jerk Duck Confit over a Cornbread Waffle


Sweet Potato Polenta

Brunch is my favorite meal, but I don’t want to leave out the dinner at Water for Chocolate. You can sign up for the Chef’s Table for an exclusive multi-course meal. Last time I stopped by for dinner, I enjoyed the night's Blue Plate Special-Lobster, shrimp, scallops, and salmon belly in lemongrass coconut curry. It was even better than it sounds if that is possible. The Blue Plate Special changes so I'm sorry if this one is not available, but whatever it is, it will be good.


Blue Plate Special

What are you going to get when you go? Please let me know in the comments.

5 comments:

  1. When I took out-of-town friends here recently (visiting from another food-loving city), they declared everything “the best I’ve ever tasted.” The best French toast, the best bread pudding, the best grain bowl, the best cornbread, the best sangria, etc. Such a gem!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm getting caught up on your blogs and this is a reminder that I need to get back to Water For Chocolate soon.

    ReplyDelete